Sunday, February 18, 2018

Review: Batman: The Dark Knight: Master Race

Batman: The Dark Knight: Master Race Batman: The Dark Knight: Master Race by Frank Miller
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Despite the low score I'm giving this one, I actually enjoyed the story. The setup reminds me of Batman Beyond, in which Bruce Wayne is an old man no longer capable of filling the role of Batman and mentoring the next generation. At some point he needs to pass on the responsibility to someone else instead of trying to do it all on his own.

The villains in this one are a group of Kryptonians that escape from a miniature city in a bottle and decide to take over the world. The motivation is weak, but it allows Miller to explore the idea of what it would mean for Superman's offspring to have to choose between Krypton and Earth. And that's a lot of what the story ends up being with various members of the Justice League mixed in. As big as this book is, I felt like some of the extra storylines needed more to them. There are some big moments that are really cool, but not much happens in this story.

I hated the art in this book. At first it didn't really bother me. It was kind of quirky and I could deal with that. But there are times when the female characters look like men with boobs. And the posture choices in the second half of the book just seemed odd, especially when they were repetitive. I guess it is meant to emulate the style from Miller's previous Dark Knight books, but some of it seemed out of place for the character.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment