Friday, June 1, 2018

Review: X-Men: Grand Design (X-Men: Grand Design

X-Men: Grand Design (X-Men: Grand Design X-Men: Grand Design (X-Men: Grand Design by Ed Piskor
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I liked the setup to this book. It begins with the standard origin of the X-Men and runs through much of the early material until around the Phoenix Saga. Piskor does a wonderful job streamlining this period of the X-Men history. Some of it I already knew, some felt familiar despite being new to me, and some was just weird. Which seems to capture the spirit of the early X-Men books pretty well.

The art is interesting. It emulates the style of the early X-Men books, and other comics really. That isn't my favorite, but it is done well and works with the story that is laid out in this book. The big curveball for me was including the Watcher as the conveyor of X-Men lore. His presence gives an opportunity to tell this sweeping history, but I also felt like it was unnecessary. Grand Design can be a good primer for X-Men in general, but the early stuff in particular.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment