Monday, September 5, 2016

Comic Bento July 2016

Comic Bento is a blind subscription box service. They send a box of four to five graphic novels every month based upon a theme. The July 2016 theme is They Robots. Every book in this box features a robot in some way.


First up is It Came! by Dan Boultwood (Titan Comics). The cover and the name struck me as being inspired by a B movie immediately. The art inside the books harkens back to bad sci fi movies as well. That won't put me off though because this book seems like it is supposed to be very tongue in cheek. The description from the back of the book of a robot from Mars invading the English countryside (War of the Worlds, anyone?) with "knuckle sandwiches" just makes it sound more ridiculous. I expect this one to be fun.


Next up is BubbleGun, Volume 1 by Mark Roslan and Mike Bowden (Aspen Mlt Inc). First of all, Aspen provides another Comic Bento exclusive cover. Very cool. This one is set in the future and people are using cybernetic enhancements that blur the line between human and robot. The book centers around a team of mercenary thieves that are on a job that is more than they bargained for. I enjoy heist caper style books and movies. I'm hoping this will have the same energy level and intelligence that can make the genre great.


Third is Diesel Sweeties: Bacon is a Vegetable, Coffee is a Vitamin by R. Stevens (Oni Press Inc). This is from a web comic series, which I'm not always a big fan of. The title alone makes me want to read this book though. I flipped through it and all of the art is designed like an 8-bit video game, and that just makes me want to read it more. There are robot characters involved, but there isn't really a plot with this one.


Lastly, there is Voltron Year One by Brandon Thomas and Craig Cermak (Dynamite Entertainment). I have fond memories of the Voltron cartoon (rightly or not), so I am excited to read this book. This tells the story of how five young men were chosen to control the legendary robot and how they deal with the pressure. The art doesn't look too impressive on first glance though.

The books in this box are a bit lighter in tone than the previous ones I've received. As long as they can deliver on fun and humor, it should be a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment