Monday, October 15, 2018

Review: My Hero Academia, Vol. 1

My Hero Academia, Vol. 1 My Hero Academia, Vol. 1 by Kohei Horikoshi
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I have to say this is probably the most enjoyable manga I've read to date. The plot isn't all that different from some of the other books, but I found that I liked the characters a lot more. This alone kept me interested and actually has me considering picking up the next volume. The art was different than I'm used to seeing in manga as well. It has some of the same highly stylistic expressions and such. I felt like the pages were never quite as busy and that the images in this book were easier to decipher. That is another plus in my book.

This was pitched to me as a manga version of the X-Men, which isn't entirely wrong but I wouldn't say it is exactly accurate either. There is a school for people with gifts (actually there are a lot of both) and there is a certain amount of hero training that goes on. But most of the character development happens outside the school environment, which becomes more prominent toward the end of this volume. The story of this young man who is born without powers in a world where almost everyone has them becomes interesting because so much of the story is based around his strength of character. He has a never give up attitude.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment