Saturday, March 9, 2019

Review: Jem and the Holograms Vol. 1: Showtime

Jem and the Holograms Vol. 1: Showtime Jem and the Holograms Vol. 1: Showtime by Kelly Thompson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I had so much fun reading this book. It's about a group of sisters that have a band and enter a battle of the bands contest that has a record deal as a prize. The girls have to face off against the sponsor of the contest, one of the hottest bands in the world. While the premise is pretty simple, it is well executed. Each of the sisters has their own personality and style.

The best part of this book has to be the art. The color work is phenomenal. It does so much to set the tone of the story and helps to keep it lighthearted. There are some kooky elements to the story that border on tropey. That's okay though because the creators weave that into the story really well. As simple as the plot may seem, it is built up by some of the secondary plotlines.

This is a licensed property, which I had no awareness of before I started reading this volume. I can't say how well it adheres to that license. However, I feel between the introduction and the execution of this story, the creators have a passion for it and did their best to honor it. I would read the second volume of this series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment