Saturday, April 28, 2018

Review: Judge Dredd: Year One

Judge Dredd: Year One Judge Dredd: Year One by Matthew Smith
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I decided to pick up a Judge Dredd Humble Bundle after hearing one of the hosts on the I Read Comics Book podcast talking about some of the different stories. Year One is the first one out of the batch that I read, and it was a lot of fun.

This is supposed to take place during Dredd's first year out of the academy. He shows a lot more certainty than you might expect from a year one book. The story seemed to lay out that the process of becoming a Judge is pretty intense and could reasonably explain why Dredd wasn't portrayed as more of a rookie.

One aspect of the story that I enjoyed in particular was the focus on psychic/supernatural elements. This wasn't something I was anticipating from a heavy sci-fi/dystopian world. There's a mystery associated with those elements that Dredd has to unravel.

The book as a whole felt like it did a pretty decent job introducing Dredd and Mega City One. There wasn't anything amazing about the art, but it is pretty solid all around. For my first Judge Dredd book, it certainly did a nice job of getting me excited to read more. Now I just need to find some time to dig into the rest of the bundle.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment