Thursday, April 5, 2018

Review: Silver Surfer, Vol. 1: New Dawn

Silver Surfer, Vol. 1: New Dawn Silver Surfer, Vol. 1: New Dawn by Dan Slott
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I don't know much about the Silver Surfer. This book didn't do a whole lot to fill in the gaps either. There are references to his past, i.e. working for Galactus. However, this book seems to assume that the reader will know at least that much about the Surfer. Despite that, it actually is okay for jumping in and reading about the character.

I wasn't a huge fan of the writing or the art though. That's a tough place for a comic to be in. First off, the writing didn't grab me. The story is okay, but I felt like there wasn't much reason for me to care about the characters or ultimately what happened. Usually I enjoy a book that makes references to other bits of pop culture, but the efforts here seemed kind of ham fisted. There were some amusing moments to lighten things up though.

As far as the art, the style did not work for me at all. It may have been bordering too much on the abstract for my tastes. Certain panels, particularly ones with the Surfer in them, seemed to have a weird perspective or tended toward less realistic character design. The color work was good, especially with all the strange outer space stuff.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment