Saturday, November 17, 2018

Review: The Books of Magic

The Books of Magic The Books of Magic by Neil Gaiman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I tend to like Gaiman's writing, so it isn't a surprise that I enjoyed this book. It fits neatly between the greater DC Universe and Gaiman's Sandman series, drawing in characters from both to tell the story of a young man that might be able to learn magic. Four magicians come together to act as guides for Hunter to introduce him to the world of magic. I was familiar with two of the four guides prior to reading this book and didn't bother looking up anything about the other two.

The characters that I knew before picking this up were presented well. Their personalities definitely come through. I loved the different landscapes that Hunter is taken through. Each one is distinct and the art is fantastic in showing that. Is there much of a point to this story? Not really. Maybe something comes of Hunter's journey in another book, I'm not sure. But it is the journey itself that makes this book worth reading. It gives more substance to the worlds and characters that are presented and made me want to read more about them.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment