Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Review: Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History

Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History by Art Spiegelman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Such an amazing book. It really captures the horror of the Holocaust. Not just the brutality of the mass murders either. Despite the use of anthropomorphic mice to portray the story, it drives home the uncertainty that a group of people had to live with every day for years. I can't imagine what it would be like to live through that, but I think this book comes close to showing what it might be like.

The second part of this book that I think receives a little less focus is the story of a father and a son. This might have increased the impact of the parts set in Poland during the second World War. We get to see the aftereffects of those events. How they impact a man's life, drives a family apart, and can bring it back together. Very powerful stuff. A highly recommended read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment