Saturday, March 12, 2016

Just the Tips Review

Just the Tips. Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky. 2014. Image Comics. 96 pages.

Rating: 3/5

I received this as part of the Image Comics Humble Bundle that I purchased. It wasn't one of the books in the bundle that I was excited about though. This is definitely not something to let your kids read.

Just the Tips features a variety of items taken from the creators' series Sex Criminals, plus some bonuses. These include tips, positions, and stories amongst other things.

Although it's an offshoot of a graphic novel, the book is mostly prose. The images are mainly in the positions pieces. These can range from hilarious to disturbing. I found that the book read pretty easily and quickly. My favorite parts were the stories and confessions. Each one is a little story, whereas the tips and other pieces were more like one liners.

The whole thing is satirical. No one should misconstrue this as a serious guide to sex. And the creators do a really good job of making it funny. I laughed out loud a number of times. But it never really drew me in. I think someone who has read Sex Criminals might have more interest in this.

No comments:

Post a Comment