Thursday, December 29, 2016

The Opposite of Spoiled Review

The Opposite of Spoiled: Raising Kids Who Are Grounded, Generous, and Smart About Money. Ron Lieber. 2015. Harper. 256 pages.

Rating: 4/5

My local library did a series of events on personal finances this year, including a community read of The Opposite of Spoiled. I don't think I would have come across the book otherwise. While I've read some other stuff on personal finances, I've never picked up a parenting book.

I thought this book was pretty good for what it is. You won't find information on creating budgets or anything like that. The biggest themes that I picked up from the book are to be open about money and give kids a chance to experiment with spending on their own terms. Lieber encourages asking questions to get to the root of a child's inquiry about money (such as: how much do you make?), giving kids an allowance, and earmarking funds for different activities (save, spend, and give).

The information is easy to read and well organized. While the focus is on parents with kids that are starting to inquire about money, there are tips that any parent could use. The examples he uses are nice, but sometimes felt like they were intended for wealthier or well established families. There are examples along a wide spectrum though, so maybe those are just the ones that stick out in my mind. Lieber's advice is worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment