Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Baba Yaga's Assistant Review

Baba Yaga's Assistant. Marika McCoola and Emily Carroll. 2015. Candlewick. 136 pages.

Rating: 3/5

This is a good book for younger readers. It has a fairy tale vibe that works really well. It addresses some social issues too.

Baba Yaga is an interesting character. She's a witch from Russian folklore with a lot of different elements tied to her. I only know some of the stories that inform this book, but that gap didn't deter from my reading. I am more interested in seeking out other stories featuring Baba Yaga after reading this.

The art is well done, but doesn't quite fit my style. Makes sense as this is targeted at a different audience.

I found myself rooting for the main character. The end works nicely given the context of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment