Tuesday, February 28, 2017

What If? Review

What If? Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions. Randall Munroe. 2014. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. 321 pages.

Rating: 4/5

This is a highly entertaining book based on a silly concept. The author responds to ridiculous, often destructive, questions that came into his website. I haven't read the blog on which this is based, but that didn't affect my enjoyment of the book.

It took me reading through a couple questions to get into it. I think that is because I was not familiar with Munroe's writing before starting this book. The humor took over quickly enough, and once it did I was drawn in. Reading this went very quickly after that. It is easy to read despite the heavy (at times) topics. The images, usually little cartoon drawings with stick figures, highlight the humorous aspects of the topics (or Munroe's response anyway).

There are short sections of questions that are so off the wall that no response is given, but it seems like the author wanted to share them anyway. These help break up some of the heavier topics and are pretty funny. A science background isn't necessary to enjoy this book. If you have any inkling to read it, get your hands on a copy.

I am still waiting to find out what happened to the dinosaur that got lowered into the sarlacc pit though.

No comments:

Post a Comment