Friday, February 17, 2017

The Golem and the Jinni Review

The Golem and the Jinni. Helene Wecker. 2013. Harper. 496 pages.

Rating: 5/5

This book is fantastic. I absolutely loved it. The ideas behind the title characters go back a long time, but Wecker really makes them her own. They come from Jewish and Arab folklore, which makes their meeting and relationship so wonderful. Each of them had the potential to make the book cold. Wecker's writing superbly makes them relatable and enjoyable to read about, even when they are doing mundane tasks.

The Golem and the Jinni are tied to their natures. They develop in fun ways over the course of the book. Yet, given their origins, they have to integrate those changes into a specific mindset. It is interesting how human they become when they should be detached from everyone around them. Obviously, I loved the main characters. They drive the book along. The supporting cast is just as strong. We don't get to see quite as much about them, but their impact is just as important on the story.

The writing itself is wonderful. Wecker gives life to a late 19th century Manhattan. I could picture the world the characters moved in very easily. The characters are the strongest fixtures, although the structures, sounds, and scents that are evoked round things out. And the pacing is great. I kept wanting to read more of the book. I can't recall any points where it lost my interest. Despite the fantastic elements, this book is about the lives of the characters. It does round itself out in a way that is satisfying. I wish I could read more, but I'll have to settle for rereading it sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment