Saturday, November 11, 2017

Black Canary, Vol. 1 Review

Black Canary, Volume One: Kicking and Screaming. Brenden Fletcher, Annie Wu, Pia Guerra, and Lee Loughridge. 2016. DC Comics. 168 pages.

Rating: 3/5

My first experience with Black Canary came from the Arrow TV series. I feel like some of that characterization is present here, but it takes her in a very different direction. Dinah Lance teams up with a group of teens to form a band that becomes wildly popular overnight. The reasons behind this are touched on in the book. They felt kind of dubious to me though.

I enjoyed the different take on this character, and her band mates actually grew on me as the book went on. Had it been left as a story about a girl and her band I think I would have enjoyed it more. About midway through, other elements from the DC universe are pulled in and that put me off to the book. Partly because I'm not a huge DC reader and partly because some of the characters used seem to pop up in way too many of the books I do pick up.

The art didn't bother me. Not really a resounding endorsement for it. Yet, I think that's a good thing because in a book like this the art can be very hit or miss and ruin the enjoyment. There are some goofy moments with the art, and there are a lot more action sequences than there should have been based on the way it starts out. Despite that, it didn't put me off to reading the story, so there must be something to it that fits the tone. This book, and a couple other more recent DC books that I've read, seem to be trying to be a little trendier or shifting their characters to appeal to a younger crowd. For the most part I think they've done a decent job with it and anyone looking for a change from the regular superhero fare should check this out.

No comments:

Post a Comment