Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Review: Abbott

Abbott Abbott by Saladin Ahmed
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Wow, this was a lot better than I was expecting. I don't think my expectations were particularly low, but I just wasn't super into the idea. It's really well done. I like the slow build to the supernatural stuff. It made it have more impact when it comes to the fore. Plus, the first couple issues take time to focus on Elena and some of the social issues of the time. The book looks at racism and sexism at the time and gives the story a lot of context. I think this book works as well as it does because the writer makes that effort to create a realistic setting. And Elena is centered in that so her actions matter. I loved the art too. It has some gruesome moments though. I would read more about this character/time period.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment