Sunday, June 19, 2016

Comic Bento Rewriting History Box Review


For those that don't know, Comic Bento is a blind subscription box service focused on graphic novels. This means that they choose a theme for the box, in this case Rewriting History, and select at least four graphic novels to put into it. They reveal the theme for the box around the middle of the month and close orders the middle of the next month. Although the theme is given, subscribers don't know what is in the box until it arrives. The cost varies between $17.50 and $20.00 per month based on the subscription chosen plus shipping and handling.


A card detailing the theme and the contents of the box are included each month. A synopsis of each book is provided and the justification for including it in the box. The card also reveals the title of the next month's theme.


X-Men: Days of Future Past
Cover price: $19.99

I should have seen this one coming. The video revealing the theme hinted at it heavily. That said, I was really excited to see this one included. This is a classic X-Men story that I haven't had a chance to read yet. The X-Men journey to the future (2013!) for the first time and must figure out a way to prevent the terrible fate they discover. Plus it is written by Chris Claremont. For me, the box is worth it for this book alone. The others are just nice bonuses.


Mankind: The Story of All of Us, Volume 1.
Cover Price: $14.99

This book is a pleasant surprise. It is based on the TV series, and features everyday heroes throughout the history of mankind. This first volume begins with the Ice Age and goes to the Middle Ages. It really takes a different approach than what I was anticipating seeing in the box. I flipped through it and it looks like the stories are pretty varied.


Chronos Commandos: Dawn Patrol.
Cover Price: $14.99

Another book from Titan Comics featured in a Comic Bento box. Their books tend to be a little more off the beaten track, and this one doesn't look to disappoint in that regard. The Nazis developed time travel and head back to the age of the dinosaurs. I couldn't help but laugh when I saw this. If this is half as amusing as it sounds, it should be quite enjoyable.


Ivar, Timewalker.
Cover price: $9.99

Finally, we have Ivar, Timewalker, who saves the future by travelling into the past to stop bad things from happening. Thanks to Comic Bento, Valiant Comics is fast becoming one of my favorite publishers. I am looking forward to reading this one, but Days of Future Past will come first.

Two things of note before I wrap this up. First, this is the first box I've received from Comic Bento that didn't feature a hardcover book. I'm only a few boxes into my subscription, so I'm not sure if this is abnormal or not. It's something I will keep an eye on though. Second, the cover price of these books is a little lower than the other boxes. They clock in at $59.96 total, which is still worth the admission price, but not be as worth it to readers that have one or more of the books already.

No comments:

Post a Comment