Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Birthright, Volume 1 Review

Birthright, Volume 1: Homecoming. Joshua Williamson, Andrei Bressan, and Adriano Lucas. 2015. Image Comics. 128 pages.

Rating: 4/5

Birthright hooked me pretty quickly. It begins simply enough with a father and son playing catch. Things quickly go wrong when the boy disappears and we see the family break down over the next year. The twist comes in when a man claiming to be that boy is found in armor with a mess of weapons.

This book features two worlds, our own and a fantasy realm connected to it. I enjoyed the way the two worlds are connected. The boy, Mikey, is believed to be the savior of the fantasy realm when he is taken and trained to fight. The fact that Mikey aged more in comparison to the rest of his family reminds me of fairy tales. Not everything is what it appears to be though. This holds true for both worlds. It is interesting to see Mikey approaching his "destiny" in the past and the present.

The art is great too. The two realms are distinct, but it feels natural when they come together, particularly toward the end of the book. Everything connected to the fantasy realm is drawn with care and enthusiasm. Something about the character faces put me off at times though. It isn't something that affected the way I read the book, just a personal preference I guess.

All in all, I liked this book a lot. The story is good and kept me engaged all the way to the end. I'm looking forward to reading the next volume.

No comments:

Post a Comment