Sunday, October 9, 2016

Diesel Sweeties Volume 2 Review

Diesel Sweeties, Volume 2: Bacon is a Vegetable, Coffee is a Vitamin. R. Stevens. 2014. Oni Press. 136 pages.

Rating: 5/5

I received this book in the July 2016 Comic Bento box. It is a collection of strips from the Diesel Sweeties webcomic. I've mentioned before that I don't typically like webcomics. There is something about the format that just doesn't work for me.

This book was great though. As the title suggests, the strips are focused on either bacon or coffee. These range from slightly amusing to hilarious. There is a bit of repetition in these, but that didn't bother me at all. I did read this in small chunks, which may have helped, but it lends itself to being read in one sitting. The continuity of the jokes throughout the book was perfect for me.

The characters are funny. There are human hipsters, deranged robots, and violent appliances. I enjoyed the pixelated art. It made it feel sort of like I was reading an 80's video game. Plus, the facial expressions are more varied than I expected at first.

This volume is a nice, full color collection. Fans of the comic that want a physical copy won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment