Saturday, October 15, 2016

Comic Bento September 2016: As Seen on TV

The September 2016 Comic Bento theme is As Seen on TV. All of the books in this box are related to a TV series, so there are a ton of books they could have chosen. I'm actually a little surprised there wasn't an Image book since a bunch of theme have been adapted to TV. Only one of the books in the box is connected to a show that I've watched, although I am familiar with all of them.


First up is The Blacklist, Vol. 1: The Gambler (Nicole Phillips and Beni Lobel; Titan Comics). The FBI is framed for a public murder and a special taskforce needs to find the person behind it and bring him down. I enjoy police dramas like this. Although I've never watched the show, I think this could be pretty entertaining. It is written by one of the show writers too, so it has a lot of potential there. The art looks great based on my initial scans. I am looking forward to reading this book.

The second book is Garbage Pail Kids (Too many creators to list here; IDW). I'm not really sure what this one is about aside from featuring a group of irreverent kids. Honestly, this doesn't look too appealing to me, but I'll still give it a shot. It appears to poke fun at a few different comic and TV series, which might be amusing. There is a bit of range on the illustrations, though I could see some commonality throughout. This is essentially an anthology, so the quality may not be consistent.



Next is Agents of Shield, Vol. 1: The Coulson Protocols (Marc Guggenheim and German Peralta; Marvel). I've watched the first three seasons of Agents of Shield and enjoyed them for the most part. I know enough about the characters for this book to be interesting to me. Phil Coulson is reunited with his long lost love, Lola. There are also appearances by some big time Marvel heroes. Marvel tends to put out very high quality books, so I don't have much to say about this one. The art looks amazing, which is no surprise.

Lastly, we have Rick and Morty, Vol. 1 (Zac Gorman, CJ Cannon, and Marc Ellerby; Oni Press). This book is based on the adult swim show. It sounds pretty crazy as this family travels across time and space. The art looks to match pretty closely to the show, but neither is terribly appealing to me. I think this has the potential to be really fun though.

I'm not as excited about these books as I have been compared to other Comic Bento boxes. I  have been surprised in the past though, so I will reserve full judgment on these until I get a chance to read them. As a bonus, the box included a book mark designed like a remote control. Each of the number buttons uses the outline of the head of a comic character rather than a number. I can always use more bookmarks and this one fits the theme very well. As always, full reviews on each of these books will be forthcoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment