Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Midnight Nation Review

Midnight Nation. J. Michael Straczynski and Gary Frank. 2004. Image Comics. 304 pages.

Rating: 5/5

I loved this book. The tone reminded me a lot of Sandman, Lucifer, and some of the other Vertigo titles that I've read. It involves a lot more reflection on society than it does action, which is perfectly fine. Some might think it drags at times as a result though.

One of the main ideas in this book revolves around what happens to people that live on the outskirts of society. Sure it includes the homeless or the diseased, but really anyone could end up in this situation depending on the circumstances. I like what Straczynski does by taking these people and shifting them into what amounts to a shadow version of reality. This world is both imaginative and scary because of the feelings that create it.

My favorite character in this book is Lazarus by far. He provides a bit to the story without taking over. The protagonists are well developed and I found them interesting throughout. The art is another strong point to the book. This is another element that made me think of some of the comics I've read from Vertigo. It can be visually stunning and definitely incorporates the art into the overall narrative. There are a number of scenes that capitalize on the feeling of loneliness and loss that pervade the book. This isn't light reading by any means, but it is satisfying in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment