Saturday, September 8, 2018

Review: The Infinity Gauntlet

The Infinity Gauntlet The Infinity Gauntlet by Jim Starlin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I enjoyed this a lot more than I expected to. Mostly, that is because it is an older comic. It came out in the early 90s so it has a lot of the same trappings that I tend to dislike about comics from the 80s: it is particularly wordy when it doesn't need to be, the art hasn't aged well, it has some very comic book stereotype situations, and it takes itself way too seriously.

That said, I actually liked this story in which Thanos sets out to destroy the heroes of Earth in hopes of wooing Death. It can be a little convoluted and there are some characters that I am not familiar with, but it starts out strong and it keeps on going. There are a few points where it gets dull, mostly toward the end of the book where it seems to get repetitive. But the main thing here is that it makes Thanos really feel like a threat. I understand very early in this book what was going on and why Thanos mattered. The characters that I didn't know I was mostly able to figure out without having to go look anything up. And in spite of the over-the-top comic book nature of the story, it comes to a pretty satisfying conclusion.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment