Sunday, December 23, 2018

Review: Birthright, Vol. 2: Call to Adventure

Birthright, Vol. 2: Call to Adventure Birthright, Vol. 2: Call to Adventure by Joshua Williamson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I'm continuing to enjoy this series. It blends the real world with a fantasy world in a fresh way. I'm reminded of the way that fairies and their homes are portrayed in certain stories, rather than simply infusing our world with magic. The distinction is important for the story and the way that events unfold.

The huge draw in this book is the development of the brothers' relationship. There is a lot of time spent showing how it has changed due to intervening events and, maybe more importantly, how it has stayed the same. This becomes important toward the end of this volume. I suspect it will play a bigger role as the series continues. It's great to see more of Mikey's adventures and how the elements from the fantasy world have followed him home.

There are a lot of cool things that happen in this volume. Yet, it feels like the characters haven't progressed much by the end. I think this is because it takes place in a fairly confined amount of space and time. But there are some very important moments. And the art is stellar, especially in those moments when the two world interact. I'm excited to continue this series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment