Saturday, December 29, 2018

Review: Kill or be Killed, Vol. 2

Kill or be Killed, Vol. 2 Kill or be Killed, Vol. 2 by Ed Brubaker
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Not quite as good as the first book, but still darn good. Brubaker's strange anti-hero kicks off this volume murdering someone in front of the police and things just go downhill for him from there. I like that Dylan's murder spree wasn't dragged out more before he has a run-in with the cops. It is sort of abrupt how it happens though. I think it made for a more compelling story when he is being actively hunted down. The story doesn't flow quite as well as the first volume did because there are more elements being pulled into it. It works pretty well though.

The way the story is told is very similar to the first book to start off. It can be a little disorienting being dropped into the middle of something and not knowing how we got there. Brubaker is good and bringing things back around so it all makes sense. Dylan's romantic relationship, and the insights into his background that come with it, are a nice addition. It helped me get the sense that the story is opening up more and that some seemingly unrelated aspects will be coming together down the line. Once again, the art is top notch. Phillips does a great job with detail. There are perspective changes between panels that remain consistent and the backgrounds are fleshed out. The coloring is also fantastic.

I jumped into this volume right after finishing the first book, and I really wish I had the third one available to me to keep the momentum going. This series has turned into a nice surprise and I want to see what happens next.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment