Sunday, December 16, 2018

Review: X-O Manowar Volume 4: Visigoth

X-O Manowar Volume 4: Visigoth X-O Manowar Volume 4: Visigoth by Matt Kindt
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Volume 4 took a bit of a turn for me. I want to start with the art. I wasn't a huge fan of the art team this time around. The first few volumes tended more toward a realistic style and were just gorgeous. This time the art steps back a little. It's brighter and less defined (if that makes any sense). Perhaps it is meant to follow Aric's mental state as the series progresses. It got darker and darker until this volume. So maybe I just convinced myself that it was really well done, but the line work didn't do much for me anyway.

Then there is the story. Man, I felt like this was a huge payoff for this arc of Aric's story on planet Gorin. We finally get to see what caused Aric to leave Earth. Others might find it cliché or some such. It fits Aric's personality perfectly though. I'm a little disappointed that we won't get to see more of Gorin (for now at least, who knows what Valiant will decide to do in the future). The other big takeaway from this book is the development of the relationship between Aric and Shanhara. They are so connected that it is cool to see them coming back together.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment