Friday, December 21, 2018

Review: Sing, Unburied, Sing

Sing, Unburied, Sing Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a beautifully written book. I enjoyed the family centric focus, even though it's not what you might think of as a traditional family. And it doesn't always work. It feels a lot more real that way. Throwing the story on a backdrop of rural Mississippi works wonderfully. The setting helps to bring depth to these characters and almost takes on a personality of its own.

For a story seemingly focused on a small family, it was a little surprising to have the supernatural elements brought in. Personally, I thought this was done really well. There are hints of it early on. It builds into the overall narrative slowly though. I think by easing the reader into that portion of the story, it has some more impact. Ward did a fantastic job of making this run-down family worth visiting for a time.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment