Monday, April 4, 2016

March Comic Bento Review


Comic Bento is a subscription box that selects different graphic novels, usually four, based around a theme each month. The box price is $20.00 per month plus shipping and handling. The price is reduced for three or six month subscriptions. I received a review copy of the March box as my first one. The theme for this box is POWERLESS, rather than featuring characters with superpowers.

The box itself is pretty sturdy. There were some dings to it, but the comics inside were just fine. A piece of packing bubble was used to help hold them in place during shipping. I did some digging on the Comic Bento website and they have a policy to replace any comics damaged during shipping, which is awesome. I love that they provide a double sided card explaining the theme, the reason the books were chosen, and a blurb about each one.

First up, we have Ninjak, a master spy and assassin. He doesn't have superpowers, but he has some help. The character background sounds similar to Batman, so I'm hoping this book will show how Ninjak stands on his own. The cover price on this one is $9.99.


Next, we have Stumptown. This one is written by Greg Rucka, which is a writer I've had a chance to read before. Stumptown is a detective story where our  hero has to find a missing guitar. Sounds pretty interesting from the blurb provided. They picked a nice hardcover volume for this one. Cover price: $29.99.

The third book, Blackcross, is written by Warren Ellis. This shakes things up a little bit by going into the horror genre. Ghosts are wandering around the Pacific Northwest and some ordinary people have to deal with a paranormal killer. Cover price: $19.99.


Finally, we have a book called Ordinary by Rob Williams, featuring a hero with absolutely no powers in world filled with people with powers. I've read a couple other books that follow a similar theme, so I'm interested to see how the creators handle it here. Cover price: $14.99.

Two other things jumped out at me about this box. First, the Comic Bento people chose comics that are published by companies other than the big three (Marvel, DC, Image). Don't get me wrong, I enjoy reading most of the material they put out, but I'm always on the lookout for good books from other publishers. Second, there is a nice mix of creators here, some I know and some I don't. I'm looking forward to other boxes that I'll receive when I start up my subscription.

Is it worth it though? Based solely on the cover prices, the value of these comes in at $74.96, while the box costs $20 + shipping. It definitely has a good value. Even looking at Kindle versions of the books, you'll end up coming out ahead. I recommend the Comic Bento subscription if you are interested in getting a variety of graphic novels outside the usual. Looking back at previous boxes, there are books that I've come across on my own, but nothing that I wouldn't be happy to read again.

Expect to see reviews of the individual books over the coming weeks as I get a chance to sit down and read them.

No comments:

Post a Comment