Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Preacher, Book One Review

Preacher, Book One. Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon. 2009. Vertigo. 352 pages.

Rating: 2/5

Preacher is the story of Jesse Custer, a pastor at a small town church. This book collects the first two volumes in the Preacher series. In the first arc Jesse goes on the run after the town is wiped out, encountering his old girlfriend and an Irish vampire along the way. The second arc returns him to his childhood home.

My first impression was that the art is similar to the Sandman series. When an agent of Heaven comes to Earth, it reminded me of the Lucifer series. That is really the only similarities to these other two series. Which is unfortunate because it does not hold up as well as either of them.

I never got into this one. None of the characters are particularly likeable. They've all done some horrible things, which isn't enough for me to write them off, but I never saw any redeeming qualities to them. These are characters obsessed with sex, drugs and violence with no remorse for the way they treat other people, including each other. It felt like the creators were going for shock value with a lot of these characters.

Beyond that, the story didn't excite me either. There are signs of potential, but there is no focus. It begins with a plot centered around the absence of God from Heaven and the escape of an entity capable of rivaling God's power. It switches gears to the life of Jesse Custer and slows way down. There are elements of the first plotline throughout his story. It just wasn't enough though. Since I didn't like the main character, the book never hooked me. The best part for me was the development of the friendship between Jesse Custer and Cassidy.

No comments:

Post a Comment