Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Kaptara, Vol. 1 Review

Kaptara, Volume One: Fear Not, Tiny Alien. Chip Zdarsky and Kagan McLeod. 2016. Image Comics. 128 pages.

Rating: 2/5

This book struck a chord with me, but not the right one. It tried too hard to be funny and edgy. In the end it just felt bland.

The setting has to be the best part of the book. It begins with a science team in the middle of space. They pass through a strange zone and end up crash landing on a world that seems inspired by Lord of the Rings and Alice in Wonderland. There are a lot of strange creatures and lands that the crew can travel too.

I did not like any of the characters though. They are taken to extremes that made them seem one dimensional. The story is decent, but the characters drag it down to a point where I didn't really care what was going on. I don't have much interest in the art either. It takes that nonsensical characterization and bumps it up a notch. Sometimes it worked though.

I wouldn't write this one off entirely. The humor that drives a lot of this just wasn't what I was looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment