Friday, January 20, 2017

Mighty Avengers, Vol. 1 Review

The Mighty Avengers, Volume 1: The Ultron Initiative. Brian Michael Bendis and Frank Cho. 2008. Marvel. 168 pages.

Rating: 3/5

This has to be close to the epitome of an Avengers book. It features some extremely powerful characters going up against one of the biggest bad guys in Avengers history. The formation of the team is one of the highlights of the book in my opinion. I don't know enough about some of the characters (Wonderman and Sentry specifically) to get too excited about it.

The writing on this book is great. Even though there are characters I was unfamiliar with, by the end of the book I felt like I had a decent understanding of them. This story gave me a much greater appreciation for the character Ares because it shows him as more than just a dumb brute. Ultron is used effectively both in how he (she?) comes back and what the Avengers ultimately do to defeat him. There is plenty of action, but it isn't all fighting. My biggest complaint about the writing are the completely random thought bubbles. Eventually they just became amusing. Early on they slowed down the pace of the book and kept me from getting into the story.

The art is a mixed bag. I don't think I've read an entire book drawn by Frank Cho before. There are times when the art is fantastic. At other times I just can't figure out how a character ended up being drawn a particular way. There are images that seem awkward because they don't match up to expectations based on the rest of the book and how bodies should look. I don't know if this is typical for Cho or not, but it was another instance where I was pulled out of the story.

Overall, it is a nice team book. There are a couple twists on the standard superhero stories that make it worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment