Sunday, January 22, 2017

Self-Obsessed Review

Self-Obsessed. Sina Grace. 2015. Image Comics. 160 pages.

Rating: 3/5

Sina Grace provides a unique glimpse into an artist's history. This collects pieces from a ten year period, including some of Grace's earliest works. The early stuff isn't the greatest and contains a lot of self doubt from Grace. As a gay comics writer, he is in an unusual position.

The first half of the book took me a while to get through, but I felt like the second half made up for it. I saw a shift towards confidence in the work. What really made it interesting for me is when he begins to write about his experiences in the comic industry. There is some insight here that I haven't seen before and it was refreshing to see.

The art is all over the place. It's not unexpected considering the amount of time that the book covers. I think my enjoyment of the art built as I was able to see how it improved and how some elements that stayed the same over time. This is a pleasant reflection on his life, how he got into comics, and the decisions he has made within the industry. Someone that identifies more with his personal life would probably get more out of it, but it is worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment