Sunday, September 3, 2017

The New Teen Titans, Volume 1 Review

The New Teen Titans, Volume One. Marv Wolfman, George Perez, and Romeo Tanghal. 2014. DC Comics. 240 pages.

Rating: 2/5

Someday I will read an older comics series that I really enjoy. This, alas, was not the one. The New Teen Titans served to revive the teen superhero group in the DC universe, and it did so in a pretty good way. There is a nice mix of characters, especially for the time it was originally published. Each one has a unique set of powers that they can contribute to the different situations that they face.

The mystery around Raven and why she wanted to bring the group back together was written in a way that made the story drag. I was more interested in reading it to be done than to find out what happens next. The plot isn't bad and I like how it served to bring these characters together. But how it is written made it hard for me to get into it. Plus, the art is dated, which can make it more difficult to get through because of how much that applies to the comics medium.

There are definitely some good points though. I learned a lot about the characters that I hadn't known before. It sets the stage for things to come in future Teen Titan series', especially by giving the characters robust relationships. Cyborg in particular has some touching scenes with his dad. This was worth the read to see these characters come together. It sparked my interest in seeing an updated version of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment