Friday, November 4, 2016

Comic Bento October 2016: Gnarly 90's

First things first, Comic Bento is a blind subscription box service. Every month they select four or five books based on a theme. For October, all of the books are related to subjects that were popular in the 90's. I am pretty excited for this Comic Bento box.

I'm not very familiar with Turok. I know the name and remember there being a video game based on it. Turok, Dinosaur Hunter, Volume 1: Conquest (Greg Pak, Mirko Cook, and Cory Smith; Dynamite Entertainment) looks amazing. There are Indians, dinosaurs, and knights, which makes me think this book will be a lot of fun.

The Mask Strikes Back (John Arcudi and Doug Mahnke; Dark Horse Comics) is probably going to be as ridiculous as Turok. When four teens get a hold of the mysterious artifact, only trouble could follow. Having only seen the Jim Carrey movie, I feel like I am in for a treat with this book. The art looks great, although it isn't quite as polished as current comics, and promises to get pretty out there.


Doctor Strange: The Flight of Bones (Various creators; Marvel) is quite timely with the release of the new movie for the MCU. I've read a couple of other Doctor Strange books recently, so it will be interesting to see how this one compares. This book appears to be a collection of stories, and the art reflects that. It ranges from dark and serious to bright and childish.

Last up is a book in the Valiant Masters series. From what I can gather, subscribers will receive one of three hardcover books covering a classic character from the Valiant universe. I received Shadowman: Spirits Within (Jim Shooter, Steve Englehart, Bob Hall, David Lapham, and Steve Ditko; Valiant Entertainment). I've been loving the books I've read from Valiant's relaunch, but I haven't read any Shadowman books or the earlier stuff yet. I look forward to getting some history on this character, especially with so many big names attached to it. The art is a little dated, but the book still looks amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment