Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Andre the Giant: Life and Legend Review

Andrew the Giant: Life and Legend. Box Brown. 2014. First Second. 240 pages.

Rating: 4/5

I'll admit that I picked this up because I love The Princess Bride. Sure, I watched Andre wrestle when I was younger too. And the book came with some pretty high recommendations. Those were just bonus reasons for me to read this book though.

This is an excellent biography. Given the format, some information is going to have to be cut. Box Brown does a wonderful job of creating a narrative from Andre's life. It shows the hardships he had to deal with beginning at a very young age. This is reinforced throughout the book. I don't think it was overused. There was just enough to make sure the reader doesn't forget about it. The book gives a fair portrayal of Andre. Brown isn't trying to show him as anything other than a real person with good and bad moments mixed in.

I have some mixed feelings on the art. The style fits in with the other books I've read from First Second. It tends to be more cartoonish, which I don't always like. Brown uses the art to portray Andre as this larger than life person. This may not have been possible with a different drawing style. All in all, this is a great book. I learned a lot from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment