Saturday, May 6, 2017

The Stranger in the Woods Review

The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit. Michael Finkel. 2017. Knopf. 224 pages.

Rating: 4/5

An interesting tale of a man that hid in the woods for 27 years. Finkel does a great job of walking the line on this story. He doesn't praise or condone Chris Knight's actions. Instead, he tries to give a fair representation of events with historical information peppered in. I feel like the additional information about historical hermits added to the story because it reveals some similarities and differences between Knight and others that have separated themselves from society in the past.

I think the pacing on the book is good. It grabbed my attention, so I kept wanting to come back to it even when I only had short periods of time to read. The only real problem I had with it is the abrupt ending. Considering Knight's right to privacy it makes sense that Finkel isn't able to reveal a lot about what happened to him after he is released from prison. It just left me wanting more, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment