Friday, July 1, 2016

Fantastic Four Season One Review

Fantastic Four: Season One. Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and David Marquez. 2012. Marvel. 136 pages.

Rating: 3/5

I've never been a huge fan of the Fantastic Four. I think it is mainly Ben Grimm (aka Thing) that does it. He is too dour for my tastes and his accent seems unnecessary compared to the other three heroes. Season One was included as part of the Comic Bento Elementals box I received.

This is an updated telling of the origin story of the Fantastic Four. It is a good version though. Some parts, like the Namor plotline, would not have meant as much if I hadn't read Marvels recently. But the book can still be enjoyed without knowing the original story.

For those that don't know, the Fantastic Four are basically a family that traveled into space, were exposed to radiation, gained powers, and now fight crime. Each of the members has a power corresponding to one of the four principal elements. There are a couple different villains that they face, which gives some variety to the story.

The characters are believable, even if they do bug me at times. There is also an issue from the Jonathan Hickman run at the end of the book. I liked this issue and am interested in reading more.

No comments:

Post a Comment