Monday, July 25, 2016

Jim Henson's The Storyteller: Witches Review

Jim Henson's The Storyteller: Witches. Jim Henson and various. Archaia. 112 pages.

Rating: 5/5

First of all, I picked this up on a whim. I saw it at the library and grabbed it because it had Jim Henson's name on it without really knowing anything about it. Second, I won't say that this is necessarily better than the books I've been reviewing lately at 4/5. I enjoyed it immensely though and that's good enough for me.

Witches is a collection of stories based on folk and fairy tales. Each of the four stories features a witch in some way and has a different writer. Some of these are adapted quite a bit from their original format because they are being told in a different medium. Despite the difficulty of adapting them, I thought they worked very well. The setting for the stories is varied, as is the artwork associated with each one.

The illustrations are absolutely what enamored me about these stories. They are beautiful pieces that evoke multiple emotions. The different approach to the illustrations sets them apart in a great way. I'm not sure if it was purposeful, but each story seems to represent one of the four seasons. It's a subtle aspect to them that helps tie them together, aside from the obvious witch connection. I would definitely read this one again.

No comments:

Post a Comment