Thursday, August 25, 2016

The Private Eye Review

The Private Eye. Brian K. Vaughan, Marcos Martin, and Muntsa Vicente. 2015. Image Comics. 300 pages.

Rating: 5/5

This is a beast of a book, which was originally published online at panelsyndicate.com. I read the hardcover version collecting all ten issues. Rather than having the standard portrait layout, the creators used landscape. This, combined with the panel placements, gives the book a very cinematic feel. It works great with the pacing and style of the story. The illustrations themselves help set the tone of the story between the character designs and colors.

The story takes place in the near future. At some point the Cloud that stored everyone's personal data, including online habits and searches, burst, making that information available to everyone. People's lives were basically ruined as a result. Now, everyone wears masks to hide their identities. The Internet has been dismantled as a failed experiment and the youth in this story have never had access to it.

P.I. is hired by a woman to dig into her life to see what kind of dirt he can find. When she turns up dead it is up to P.I., his assistant, and the dead woman's sister to learn the truth about what happened. The resulting events are pretty clever and feel realistic. The futuristic world is well constructed. Each element adds to the whole without having dangling threads. The supporting characters, especially P.I.'s grandfather, add some comic relief to the story.

I recommend picking it up if you are even remotely considering it. I had this on my list of books to read for quite a while, and my only disappointment is that I waited so long to check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment