Sunday, October 22, 2017

Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 1 Review

Amazing Spider-Man, Volume One: The Parker Luck. Dan Slott and Humberto Ramos. 2014. Marvel. 152 pages.

Rating: 2/5

I really like Spider-Man, but this book fell flat for me. I haven't read the preceding Superior Spider-Man series. There are a bunch of references to things that happened in that run, but I don't think it matters much that I haven't read it. This volume is predicated on that fact that Peter Parker has bad luck, so anytime something happens it seems tied to that. It's certainly a theme that's been used in other Spider-Man books, but it feels overdone here.

This book is missing some of the humor that I expect from Spider-Man titles. It tries. Boy, does it try. The attempts don't work out though. And that is tied into the art, which seems inconsistent. Sometimes the character faces and bodies looked normal, and sometimes they seemed distorted or out of proportion.

It's not all bad though. I liked the use of Electro. What happens with his powers, his reaction to it, and Peter's involvement worked well. It might be the most humanizing approach to a villain that I've seen from Marvel in a while. Too bad the rest of this book doesn't compare well to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment