Friday, October 20, 2017

Descender, Vol. 2 Review

Descender, Volume Two: Machine Moon. Jeff Lemire and Dustin Nguyen. 2016. Image Comics. 116 pages.

Rating: 4/5

This book started off a little shaky for me. It had been quite a while since I read volume one, so I had to refamiliarize myself with the characters and what was going on in this setting.

Even though this series seems to be centered around Tim-21, a sentient robot designed to look like a young boy, the parts that stood out in this volume had no direct interactions with him. Andy, who was Tim's owner, learns that the robot is still alive and sets out to find him. He picks up a sidekick along the way. This part of the story is very enjoyable because it starts to fill in some gaps between what happened at the beginning of the series and the present.

The other part of the story featuring the Evil League of Robots (not what they are actually called) could have used some work. It lays some groundwork for what I expect to come in future volumes, particularly when related to Tim-21. There just wasn't a lot to excite me about those portions of the book.

The art is weird and took me some time to get used to. Instead of being very polished and somewhat futuristic looking, as you would expect, it's sparse and almost appears unfinished at times. Once I adapted to it, I decided it works great for this book. There is a nostalgic element for the characters that the art seems to highlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment