Sunday, October 8, 2017

Bedlam, Volume 1 Review

Bedlam, Volume One. Nick Spencer, Riley Rossmo, and Frazier Irving. 2013. Image Comics. 184 pages.

Rating: 2/5

For a book that is about a former serial killer, it lacks a lot of punch. Don't get me wrong, there is violence up the wazoo. That's about all it had to offer though. The idea of the "reformed" serial killer that wants to help the police find a new murderer is actually kind of interesting. And that part of the story isn't bad. However, I feel like this book doesn't add anything to the concept.

Rossmo's art can be spectacular at times. Within this volume, it seemed kind of lacking compared to his other work. Color is used for dramatic effect. It's cool that it is mostly black and white, with red thrown in for emphasis. This reinforced the dark atmosphere because the red is usually blood and sometimes covers the page.

I'll admit that I'm not usually a fan of really dark stories. They usually sound interesting to me, and then fall short of what I would have liked to have seen out of them. I mention this simply because people that like that sort of thing will probably enjoy this book immensely. Despite some elements that sounded good, it just didn't work for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment