Tuesday, July 25, 2017

I Kill Giants Review

I Kill Giants. Joe Kelly and JM Ken Nimura. 2009. Image Comics. 232 pages.

Rating: 5/5

I recently read this book for the second time after a few years. I remember loving the story when I read it then, and it was just as amazing the second time around. That being said, there are some pretty tough moments in this book. Barbara, the main character, is not particularly likeable. For me, that didn't hurt the story one bit. Some people might be put off by her attitude. I think it makes the other elements of the story more impactful.

There are some fantasy elements in this book, although it is mostly set in the real world. Those fantasy portions connect more to imagination and escapism. They blend well with the rest of the story to the point that it becomes difficult to tell whether they are real or not. The other characters help round out Barbara's story, giving her support and opposition. Together these aspects create a powerfully emotional story.

The art is great. It's in a manga style, which I don't always care for, but it works here. It ties right into Barbara's perspective. The combination of the story and the art create a well rounded book that is worthy of the praise it receives.

No comments:

Post a Comment